Friday, April 19, 2013

Death and its idiosyncrasies


March 26th 2013

I’ve always wondered how it feels, to watch someone or something die. It maybe a dog you grew up with or a tree you planted, which withered away or even a person you are close to. My grandmother says that when one person in the house is ill, it shows, because the environment at home is different. I lost my grandfather almost 4 years back. Paternal grandfather. He used to visit us often and my memory of him was having with a toothless smile that reached upto his ears, a round protruding belly, sparse hair. He was someone lovable, likable. His photo is hung in the living room. You can see the age on his face. I have memories of those occasions when he and my grandmother used to visit us or we used to visit them or we met at functions. I have never really interacted with him much, as far as I remember. But what I do remember was that he used to support me always, pamper me by making something that I liked or buying something for me, you know, small things that grandparents do for their grandchildren. And most of all, I have this clear memory of him standing beside us, handing out a towel for us to wipe our hands and face with, each time we had a meal. And this was true for all the grandchildren. He suffered during his last days. He was diagnosed with motor-neuron disease.

And as I type this right now, I see my grandfather, maternal grandfather, looking out of the window and taking deep breaths. We just got the news that my grandfather’s sister-in-law is no more. He pulls up the chair and sits in front of me and speaks, “When I initially came to Bombay, I stayed with my brother and sister-in-law for 10 years in Santacruz. She used to take good care of me, I never ate at hotels, always came home for food.” He adds, “No one will marry a bald woman now, it used to happen only in those times. She used to never step out of the house. Very rarely did she wear a wig and step out, rarely. She was 89 years old.” I’ve never seen my grandfather cry. Except once. It  felt strange, I remember. It is like one of those things that you never expect you’d see. Maybe death too is like that? No one foresees it, though we all accept its inevitability.
I remember an incident from those days when I used to roam around in frocks and ponies, when an uncle in my grandparent’s building passed away. My grandmother seemed visibly upset, with her hand on her head. I went upto her and posed a crude question, “when he was alive I’ve overheard people talking ill about him. Now that he is dead why are they gathering at his place, consoling his wife and making sad faces? We too were never close to them, then why are you so upset?” My grandmother, furious at my question, asked me to go to the next room.

So, I never really got an answer for that- Why do we lament when someone passes away? Is it because we realize we wouldn’t have them around anymore? Is it because we regret the wrong we have done to them? Maybe, we remember all those times we hurt them and never apologized. Maybe we realize that we have lost a relation which others around us still have.

 I do find death strange, because it makes us feel for even the most distant person. Maybe as incongruous it is, the feeling that we experience at the time of person’s death is perhaps one of the most humane feeling we might ever experience in the course of our lives. Unadulterated and genuine. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...